Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Day Two: South Carolina

What a disaster.

Every summer between the time I was 12 and the time I was 17, I went on vacation right near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I loved it. I had such wonderful memories of Myrtle Beach, I wanted to stop there on the way down to Florida.

BIG mistake.

When I did the distance on MapQuest between Columbia, MD and Myrtle Beach, SC, it said the distance would take about seven hours. No problem. I decided that is where we would stay, maybe check out the boardwalk, eat and have a nice little break.

WRONG.

First, the drive took about ten hours. We hit a lot of traffic. Plus, I didn't realize that Myrtle Beach is about three hours off of 95. Driving it was an absolute nightmare. The kids, however, were wonderful. I was shocked at how well-behaved they were, to be completely honest with you. When we arrived at Red Roof Inn on South Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach, I left my family in the car and ran in to get our room, which was paid for using AAdvantage miles through American Airlines.

As I was checking in, I noticed that someone was checking in with two small dogs. I asked Elwin, the front desk clerk, about the dogs, and he told me that the entire hotel is pet friendly. Considering my son has horrendous allergies that can throw him into an asthma attack, I told him that we could not stay there. he completely understood, and told me that AA would have to refund my miles. Understandable. So, I called AA and they told me that I would have to deal with it when I get home, during business hours.

I ran to the car and told my mom about the allergy situation. She agreed with me that we needed to find another hotel. So, I ran to the first hotel I saw, but there was no vacancy. I ran to the second hotel, but smoking was permitted in every room-- another allergy trigger for Charlie. I ran to the third hotel, but pets were allowed in every room. Finally, I went to the Best Western and got a room: $124.16 for the AAA rate. So much for a free room, but my Charlie is worth it.

By the time we got into the room, it was after 10pm. The twins were already knocked out in their car seats. I was able to park right in front of the room. I brought everything inside while mom stayed with the kids. One at a time, I brought them in. First Charlie: went potty, changed into jammies, then started jumping on the bed. I couldn't belive the kid got his second wind. I calmed him down and laid him in his bed, then brought Catie in.

Catie went potty,, changed into her jammies and went RIGHT to sleep. She was sound asleep before her head hit the pillow. Thankfully, Catherine likes her sleep.

Mom got changed as I was putting Charlie to sleep. I got changed, but was so wired from running from hotel to hotel that I stayed up for a few hours and worked on my new business for a little while. Then, I went to sleep.

Fortunately, the Best Western offers a nice complimentary breakfast in the morning. We ate waffles, cereal, fruit and then hit the road to our next stop.... Daytona Beach, FL.

No comments:

Post a Comment